Friday, July 3, 2026

Neurodivergence in LIS - my new role and recent diagnosis

Earlier this year, I was informed by a psychologist that I have strong signs of being on the ASD spectrum.

In other words, I am highly likely to have autism and this has been confirmed by a professional. This was based on an initial assessment I took online, after many years of suspecting I was neurodivergent in some way, and had never done anything about it before now. I could have paid for a full assessment, but the price was, in my opinion, beyond reasonable, so I've chosen to accept the results of the initial assessment, which is more than enough, because it confirms the suspicions I've had for a long time:

I'm neurodivergent, and specifically have autism and multiple anxiety disorders.

I'd already been diagnosed with general and social anxiety, explaining the nervousness and panic I've always felt during mundane tasks and with various 'basic' social interactions. Though this was useful to know at the time, I'd always suspected I was 'different' in other ways. This includes my need to stick to rigorous routines, my brain being slower than others to process complex information, and my occasional inability to read between the lines. I've now had these mannerisms confirmed as normal things for ND people to experience, particularly those on the ASD spectrum, so I feel a sense of reassurance, knowing I'm not the only one who behaves this way and that there's no shame in it. 

Since having this diagnosis, I am happier and more confident. I understand and accept myself more easily and am learning how to embrace my ND traits instead of reject or hide them. I know why I've found it difficult to learn certain procedures or processes in my job in ways I couldn't put my finger on. If someone explains a process to me, or if I read it on paper five times over, it's unlikely I will take it all in, because my brain will simply not allow it. It's like my mind is a sieve, constantly filtering out essential information, even though I don't want it to. 

I now understand this is likely related to autism, since my brain processes operate differently to others, and I need to take longer to piece together information compared to, say, a neurotypical person. I have been frustrated at myself in the past for behaving this way, but I'm trying to be more patient with myself now. I try to more regularly communicate what I need to learn and process instructions, which is usually an in-person demonstration of a procedure, a video-call meeting, a conversation, or clear written documentation. That way, I'm expressing my needs and learning skills I need for my role without making things difficult by saying nothing and struggling alone.

Outside my paid work, I have taken on a voluntary role with the Neurodivergent Library and Information Staff Network, where I manage the content for the network's official website, including their blog posts, events page, case studies, and more. It means a lot to be selected for this role, and know I'll have even a small impact on neurodivergent library staff, who may not feel seen or heard in the sector, in the same way I was before I discovered the network. 

Overall, I've found a new sense of belonging and purpose since my diagnosis. Even it wasn't a full assessment, it meant enough to me, given I can liken my characteristics to well-known neurodivergent traits. I'd like to use this story to encourage others to seek their own diagnosis. If you suspect you have neurodivergent traits, seek professional advice, but don't pay more than you can afford. Sometimes, self-diagnosis is what's needed, but make sure to do your research if you go down this path. Here is some guidance on self-diagnosis from the National Autistic Society.

If you'd like to follow the Neurodivergent Library and Information Staff Network, you can find us on our website https://nlisn.org or follow us on Bluesky. I'll post my updates for NLISN occasionally on my LinkedIn too, which you can find on my 'Contact Me' page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feminism doesn't mean anti-romance | Disney's "Wish" and what could have been

I haven’t seen the Disney movie, ‘Wish’, in full, and frankly, after seeing clips and hearing some of the songs, I don’t want to. This film ...